Upon launching Intellicus Desktop Studio, the Welcome to Intellicus Desktop Studio dialog box appears.
Figure 5: Welcome to Intellicus Desktop Studio Dialog Box
On this Welcome to Intellicus Desktop Studio dialog box, you can decide to do any of the following:
- Use any of the pre-designed reports and modify as per requirement
- Create a new report (without or with using wizard)
Choosing to open a pre-designed (existing) report
Under Open, select Existing Report to open a report that was already created. Double-click the report if it is available in the list or double-click Browse… to browse and select the report.
On Welcome… dialog box, click OK after selecting the report. The selected report opens in Intellicus Desktop Studio.
You can also open an existing report by File > Open > Select the report from the saved location > Open. The selected report opens in Intellicus Desktop Studio.
Choosing to create a new report
Under Create, click New Report option. You can also create a new report by File > New > SQL Report > Blank Report.
You can then design the report manually using the SQL Designer as per requirement. For more information refer to the Desktop Studio – SQL Designer document.
You can design reports using the SQL Report Wizard with the use of predefined layouts and templates. For more information on designing the reports with the help of SQL Report Wizard, refer to SQL Report Wizard section.
SQL Report Wizard
The SQL report wizard provides an easy-to-use tabbed interface to create a report. If your report is simple/tabular/form having a lot of components on it, it is always a good idea to start designing a new report using the report wizard. A report that does not have chart or cross-tab can be entirely designed using report wizard. If a report has chart or cross-tab then it is a nice idea to use report wizard for some of the activities.
Select File > New > SQL Report. The SQL Report Wizard window appears. The report wizard provides the following tabs:
Figure 6: Report Wizard
- Report Type: To specify report title and layout related information.
- SQL Source: To specify SQL data source related details (for SQL based reports).
- Fields: To specify the fields to be placed on the report.
- Groups: To specify group related information.
- Totals: To specify summary (totals) related information.
- Style: To specify Styles (pre-set formatting) related information.
- Sub Reports: To specify and provide sub report related information. For more information on sub-reports, refer to Desktop Studio – Sub-Reports document.
The reports created are saved with .irl extension, that is, Intellicus Report Layout.
Once the reports are created using SQL Wizard, you can open the saved report from File > Open and work on further designing it using additional control options. The report contains sections such as report header, report footer, page header, page footer, group header, and group footer.
You can do the following actions:
- Drag and drop a label into the report to provide a name to the report. Refer to Placing Fields Controls on Report section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide.
- Drag and drop more data fields into the report based on your requirement. For example, you can delete the previously selected fields and drag and drop new fields (AgencyKey, Agency Name, Industry Type, system date and time, etc.) into the page header or report header. Refer to Placing Fields Controls on Report section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide.
- Add new parameters from Tools menu. Refer to DesktopStudio – Report Parameters document.
- Add connections from Tools menu. Refer to Set the Database Connectivity section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide .
- Add sections and set control properties. Refer to Working with Sections section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide and Desktop Studio – Section and Controls Properties document.
- Place Frames in Details section and set visibility of the frames so that frames are displayed as per the input parameter. Refer to Using Frame section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide and Desktop Studio – Frame control document.
- Place simple controls such as line, check box, page break, shapes, and barcode from the Insert menu. Refer to Placing Fields Controls on Report section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide and Desktop Studio – Barcode document .
- Place complex controls such as chart, image, cross tabs etc. from Insert menu. You can format the sections from Format menu. Refer to Placing Fields Controls on Report section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide and Desktop Studio – Cross tab and Desktop Studio – Charts document
- Insert a sub-report inside the main report and design the sub-report based on your requirement. Refer to Placing Fields Controls on Report section in Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide and Desktop Studio – Sub Reports document .
- Hyperlink one report to another or one report to any URL through parameters in the properties pane. Refer to Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide and Desktop Studio – Hyperlinking Reports document .
- Scripting to calculate new info from existing information like calculating profit or to manipulate any existing data. Refer to Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide .
- Add formula fields, add conditions, set report properties and field properties. For more information, refer to Desktop Studio – Beginner’s Guide .
Once you have completed designing the report, you can preview the report by clicking Preview. You can save the report by clicking Save icon and upload the report by clicking Upload icon (for more information on controls and the icons used to place these controls, refer to section Toolbars) .
Now, you can open the designed report from the Intellicus Application through Explorer > < Select Report > Run Report. The report will run successfully. Click View Now to view the report according to how it is designed.
You can export the designed reports to different file formats like PDF, Excel, CSV, Text, and Word. For more information on exporting reports to different formats, refer to Desktop Studio – Beginners Guide .