This wizard allows you to design SQLs by dragging and dropping tables on the Design tab or by typing the complete SQL on the Edit tab. On the Query Object Editor screen, click Properties > Design. The SQL Designer screen appears.
Figure 3: SQL Designer
Note: You can see the schema of database of selected connection for which metadata caching has been done.
You can delete the table on right clicking table header.
Entities are tables from data source and attributes are the columns/fields of that chosen entity i.e. table.
The SQL Designer’s left pane lists Entities and attributes in the selected entity. The area on the right side is divided into the following tabs:
- Design: Use this tab to design relatively simpler queries using drag and drop method. Refer to the section, SQL Designer: Design.
- Edit: Use this tab to represent the designed SQL designed as an SQL statement. You can also write or paste SQL here. Refer to the section, SQL Designer: Edit.
- Result: Use this tab to view the rows received due to SQL execution. Refer to the section, SQL Designer: Result.
- Procedure: Use this tab to specify the procedure related details. This tab is brought in front when procedure is selected. Refer to the section, SQL Designer: Procedure.
- Search: The search functionality allows you to search for the entities related to the query object easily. You can enter one or two alphabets and view the list related to specific search. This saves time in going through the entire drop-down list. For example, you can search Branch, Country etc. in the above screen.
Additional tabs namely ‘Sort’ (used to sort preferences) and ‘Filters’ (used to set runtime filter criteria) are available in Web Studio while designing studio reports. For more information on how to use Sort and Filter functions refer to the sections SQL Designer: Sort and SQL Designer: Filter.
Getting a list of database objects
The top line indicates the database connection that will be used to get database objects list.
- Select any of the objects among Table, View, Procedure and Synonym.
- Entities available on selected connection are listed. At a time, the list displays a pre-set number of entities. If the entity you are looking for is not available in the list, use the drop-down box options to view another set of entities. To get next list, click Next link. To get previous list, click Prev link.
When you refresh the screen, the date and time when the refresh occurred appears on the top of the SQL Designer.