Cross-tabs are typically used to have summary on single sheet of paper / screen-view. However, when a report will be viewed by a decision maker, it is quite possible that he / she wants to have a look at details almost at that time.
Using drill-down feature, decision maker will be able to get to the detail of a summary at a single mouse-click.
What is a drill-down
This is a feature using which from within a report designed in Intellicus user can open any other Intellicus report or a document.
- Opening and viewing Department-wise patient list from a cross-tab having department-wise patient count.
- Opening and viewing expenditure-information of a branch from a cross-tab having expenditure-summary of all the branches.
How does it work
While setting up summary field, we need to make it hyperlink and associate a report with it. So that, while viewing the report on-screen, when user clicks the hyperlink the report associated with the hyperlink is opened.
If the hyperlink is associated with a web site, it will open up. If it is associated with an online document, respective document will open, provided you have the associated program (such as MS Word for a .doc file) installed on the workstation.
While working on the cross-tab having a hyperlink for drill-down effect, make sure that the report being opened on clicking the hyperlink is already exists and it is uploaded in the right folder.
To open the report with relevant data such as, showing detailed expenditure about the right branch, the report being associated will need parameters that will be sent from the cross-tab report itself.
Setting up hyperlink
Before setting up the hyperlink in cross-tab, make sure you have created the “hyperlinked report” and uploaded on the server.
Figure 32: Hyperlinking a cross-tab cell
Here is an example where a cross-tab has hyperlink setup that will open up a detail report. The example of cross-tab report depicted here is a sales summary report. When the user clicks one of the summary fields, report with sales details opens up.
Figure 33: Detail Report
Here is the cross-tab:
A click on any of the sales figures should open a report:
Figure 34: Detail of Product
To get such an arrangement, you need to have two reports designed:
A detail report. This report will open when any of the cells in the cross-tab report is clicked.
The cross-tab report.
Reports will need following as part of record set:
After designing the detailed report with ProductCode and RegionCode set as parameters (the report that will be called from cross-tab) and uploading it to the server, general steps to design the cross-tab report are:
- Set the appropriate connection, create an SQL and refresh fields.
- Place Cross-tab component preferably on Report Header.
- Select RegionCode as row header.
- Select ProductCode as column header.
- Select SalesAmt as summary field.
- Go to Format tab, select the cell of summary field and click Hyperlink button.
- On Hyperlink dialog box, set the report, specify ProductCode and RegionCode as parameters.
- Set formatting details.