You can choose the most suitable chart type from different type of chart types offered for including in a report.
Charts have a lot of options, but these options are used based on the following factors:
- Type of chart chosen: When you plot a bar chart, make sure that you select numeric data for at least one of the axes.
- Number of fields chosen for the charts: To plot a bar chart you need data for at least two series. In addition, a pie chart would always show only one data series and is useful when you want to emphasize a significant element.
Important: In case of bound charts, chart is plotted depending on the section where chart component is placed. This is because the data made available for chart depends on data source used for report. In case of unbound charts, this is not the case. In whichever section you place the chart, entire records received, will be considered for plotting the chart. This is because the data made available for chart comes from its own data source.
To create a chart
- Click icon from the toolbar and click-and-drag the mouse inside the Layout window of the Layout Editor to mark an area.
- From Insert menu, click Chart Mouse pointer changes to +.
- Click and drag the mouse to mark an area.
Figure 1: Bound Chart Confirmation
- Click Yes for a bound chart and No for an unbound chart. In both the cases a default chart will be created in the marked area.
- To customize the chart, right-click on the chart and select Properties menu item.
In a bound chart report, SQL statement used for the current report will be used as the base data for the chart. All other steps would remain the same (as explained for unbound reports).
You need to specify data source for the data to be represented as a chart. To do this, right-click on the chart and invoke the properties dialog box. This properties dialog box contains many tabs under which you have to provide the details to create the chart. These tab screens serve as a wizard to create a chart. Simply select a tab and enter the details.
This screen also contains a chart preview pane and the selected control’s description.